Garryowen, UL Bohemians and UCC players amongst Irish U20s XV to face France.
Irish U20s coach Noel McNamara has named nine new caps in his team to face France in the Six Nations opener in Brive on Friday night [KO 8pm Irish time, RTÉ 2].
The side sees three Munster players selected with Garryowen’s David McCarthy at centre, UL Bohemian’s James McCarthy on the wing and the only Munster forward selected sees UCC’s Jack O’Sullivan start at number 8.
Diarmuid Barron (Garryowen), Ronan Coffey (Shannon) and James French (UCC) are the other Munster representatives to make the match day squad.
In the front-row, props Jordan Duggan and Jack Aungier will start alongside hooker Ronan Kelleher. Cormac Daly and Jack Dunne are named in the second row, with Matthew Dalton, Aaron Halland Number 8 Jack O’Sullivan in the back row.
Scrum-half Jonny Stewart will partner out-half Harry Byrne, with David McCarthy and Captain Tommy O’Brien lining out in the centres. Michael Silvester is at full-back, with James McCarthy and Peter Sullivan on the wings.
Ahead of the side departing for France, McNamara said
“We’ve had a good build up over the past few months, and it’s an exciting time for the players as well as the coaching team.
France is never an easy place to go to play, and we’re expecting a large and noisy crowd at the game, but it’s a good challenge for the players everyone involved is looking forward to getting the campaign underway on Friday night.”
Ireland take on France at Stade Amédée Domenech in Brive on Friday night.
Ireland U20 v France:
15. Michael Silvester (Dublin University/Leinster)
14. Peter Sullivan (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
13. David McCarthy (Garryowen/Munster)
12. Tommy O’Brien (UCD RFC/Leinster) (captain)
11. James McCarthy (UL Bohemian/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (UCD RFC/Leinster)
9. Jonny Stewart (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
1. Jordan Duggan (Naas/Leinster)
2. Ronan Kelleher (UCD/ Leinster)
3. Jack Aungier (St. Mary’s College RFC/Leinster)
4. Cormac Daly (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
5. Jack Dunne (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
6. Matthew Dalton (Malone RFC/Ulster)
7. Aaron Hall (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
8. Jack O’Sullivan (UCC RFC/Munster)
16. Diarmuid Barron (Garryowen FC/Munster)
17. James French (UCC RFC/Munster)
18.Tom O’Toole (Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
19. Ronan Coffey (Shannon RFC/Munster)
20. Sean Masterson (Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
22. Angus Curtis (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
23. Angus Kernohan (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)