The inclement weather played havoc with the junior fixture list last weekend with all games bar the Limerick District League Oscar Traynor match and matches staged on Astroturf being postponed.

The newly assembled Limerick District League squad travelled to Kerry in search of better luck in the competition. Limerick started brightly as Keith Mawdsley set up Daragh Rainsford whose effort went just over the crossbar. Former Limerick FC player James Sugrue responded for Kerry with a delicate chip which just missed the target. Kerry opened the scoring with their next meaningful attack. Aidan O’Callaghan’s cross eventually fell to Danny Roche who hit the net from eight yards.

The lively Keith Mawdsley saw his effort saved by Brian O’Connor having been set up by Pike Rovers Stephen McGann. Shortly after, Limerick equalised as O’Connor failed to convincingly deal with a Daragh Rainsford cross. Shane Clarke was on hand to smash home the loose ball to level the tie. Both Peter McCarthy and Shane Clarke exchanged chances for their respective sides but the game went to extra-time. Keith Mawdsley hit the side netting with an effort in extra-time.

However, the game was settled by a penalty shoot-out. Kerry emerged victorious despite successful penalties from Dermot Fitzgerald, Daragh Rainsford and Thomas Clarke for Limerick.

Limerick DL: John Mulready, Darragh Hughes, Eddie O’Donovan, Dermot Fitzgerald, Thomas Clarke, Darragh Rainsford, Kieran O’Connell, Steven McGann, Colin Daly, Keith Mawdsley, Shane Clarke, Substitutes: Evan Patterson, Danny O’Neill, Shane Walsh, Rob Shier, Brian Fitzgerald

In the FAI Junior Cup, the last remaining fourth round tie took place in LIT as Coonagh entertained Kennedy Park. With both teams flying in 1B and 2B respectively, a lively contest was expected. Coonagh took an early lead as Joey Sheehan scored after being set up by Ger Myles. However, the 2B side frustrated their hosts and levelled the tie as Keith O’Byrne played a ball over the Coonagh defence and Jason Franklin equalised.

On the stroke of half-time, Coonagh regained the lead as winger Gordon McKevitt pounced on hesitant defending to smash the ball home. Ger Myles doubled the Coonagh advantage before former Carew Park man Mark McGrath completed the scoring to set up a fifth round tie away to Dingle next weekend