Young Munster are not happy with the IRFU

Young Munster not happy with IRFU scheduling of Ulster Bank League semi final.

The Limerick side will be without some of their best players for Sunday’s Ulster Bank League semi-final against Clontarf as some of the squad will be involved with the Munster ‘A’ side.

Officials from the club have expressed their disappointment that a request to defer the game has been rejected by the IRFU.

The Club Secretary for Young Munster Brendan Collopy said the Limerick club will be forced to field a weakened team as a number of their best players are on the Munster A squad which contests the B&I Cup final against Jersey Reds at Musgrave Park on this Friday night.
The Limerick club suggested bringing forward the Bateman Cup final date (Old Belvedere v Cork Constitution) six days, which the Young Munster claim would have been possible to do without disrupting planned television coverage.

Club secretary Collopy said:

“A representation was also made from the Munster Branch supporting the request to have the date changed but this has also been ignored.

“We now have players who are denied the opportunity to participate in the semi-final through no fault of their own. We have been informed that under IRFU player welfare policy, no player will be allowed to double up on Friday night and Sunday,”

“We are having to field a totally weakened team, which shows a total disregard for the league and the club game in general. It also, we believe, shows a total disregard to the sponsors Ulster Bank who would get a much higher coverage if it wasn’t clashing with so many other rugby events.

We spoke with RTÉ who said they would have no issue with moving the final of the Bateman Cup (from April 29 to April 23) and showing just one of the semi-finals instead, but (were told) the decision would have to come from the IRFU. The final response from the IRFU has been most disappointing.”

It seems a pity that a club which has battled all season to secure a semi final spot as well as provided players to the provincial set up cannot be accommodated on this occasion.

Calvin Nash is set to be one of the highest profile absentees from the panel and while it is a good thing that Nash is getting games at a higher level, the club game and it’s importance in feeding the provinces should not be forgotten.

 

Social Sharing

Posted in

Munster come from behind for bonus-point Bulls win | HIGHLIGHTS

This bonus-point win sees Munster move up to third in the URC table, as they turn their attention ...
Read More

Munster side announced for Bulls meeting | TEAM NEWS

A back row of Peter O’Mahony, Kendellen and O’Donoghue complete the side. O’Donoghue makes his first start since ...
Read More

Bank of Ireland announce Munster Rugby partnership extension

Ian Flanagan, CEO of Munster Rugby said the province is "delighted to continue our long relationship with Bank ...
Read More

Munster name travelling squad for South Africa URC trip

Two Munster Rugby Academy players travel to South Africa, scrum-half Ethan Coughlan and prop Mark Donnelly. A 30-player ...
Read More

New Munster deal announced for Peter O’Mahony

He won Munster’s Player of the Year award in 2019 and so far this season, has made five ...
Read More

Neil Cronin, Colm Hogan and Andrew O’Mahony depart Munster

The province thanked the trio for their contributions to Munster Rugby and wished them all the best for ...
Read More

Munster fall to Northampton Champions Cup defeat | HIGHLIGHTS

Munster tried gamely to get back in contention but Northampton sealed the win when Hendy scored his second ...
Read More

“This competition is huge for every team” | Gavin Coombes speaks ahead of Northampton showdown

A Cork native, Coombes joined Munster in 2018 and has gone on to make 91 appearances for the ...
Read More