Desmond League: Cup joy for Dromore United; Broadford, Breska and Newcastle West claim Premier wins

There was a plethora of action across the Desmond League, with the significant business the Division Three League Cup final. As well as that, Creeves Celtic fell to their first loss of the league season, as the Premier Division action hots up.

Weekly Observer Premier Division
Newcastle West Town 2-1 Creeves Celtic
Newcastle West continued their decent form and collected a fourth victory in as many outings, this at the expense of the leaders, Creeves Celtic. Moved to Woodfield Estate, the winners were good value for the three points as they created far the greater openings and held the upper-hand for much of this contest. Creeves, who conceded after around 10 minutes of their first league game, saw around 380 minutes without conceding ended when Scott Hurley headed in Jake Power’s corner. It could have been more, but Kevin Mee, formerly of Newcastle West, made a string of saves to keep it at 1-0. The second goal arrived after half-time, this time a Leon Barry volley after a corner was only half cleared.

Kevin Guina did give Celtic late hope, as he found the net for the second week on the bounce, but Town held out to move to within three of Creeves. With each of the eight sides now tasting defeat, it appears that the competitive element of the new-look eight team division is bearing fruit.

Broadford Utd 1-0 Abbeyfeale Utd
Another tight Premier Division game saw Broadford United prevail with a second-half strike from Brian O’Sullivan. Following a loss, by the same scoreline, last weekend, the champions were eager to get back to winning ways. The result leaves them fourth, after a mixed set of results, while Abbeyfeale United are among a plethora of teams in the lower half of the table, having manged just one victory to date.

Athea Utd 1-3 Breska Rovers
While relegation is too early to be a real talking point, both sides were desperate for points. The visitors managed to get their first goals and indeed points, after drawing a blank in each of their first three outings. Seán Ryan’s fine strike nearing the 20 minute mark gave Athea the early advantage. Athea had earlier hit the bar, while Breska had created their own chances, and too hit the woodwork. Rovers came out strong after half-time, and Scott Quaide capitalised on a mistake from the United defence. They went ahead when Seán Healy converted via the head from a corner. There was an insurance goal nearing 80 minutes, as Karl Buckley picked out the top corner with a superb free-kick. Both sides are now on three points, looking to climb the table in a most competitive division.

Weekly Observer Division One
Granagh Utd 2-0 Glin Rovers B
A tough battle in Granagh saw the home side prevail, with first half goals from Dan Shelton and Harry Dore accounting for their goals. Glin Rovers will need to bounce back soon, before they are really dragged into a relegation scrap. Granagh continue to pick up points and will look for greater consistency to try to challenge those ahead of them

Askeaton-Kilcornan AFC P-P Dromore Utd – Pitch unplayable

Rathkeale B 0-3 St. Itas
St. Ita’s bounced back following defeat seven days ago, to get over Rathkeale B. Goals from Jason Sheehan and Aaron Kelly had them in firm control before TJ Kelly rounded out the scoring with a third late in the contest.

Weekly Observer Division Two League Cup Semi Final
Ballingarry B 0-0 Shountrade (Shountrade win 5-3 on pens, AET)
A tense semi-final saw Shountrade prevail with a 5-3 win on penalties, after a tense scoreless draw at Mike Hanley Park. Ballingarry’s form was solid before this one, but Shountrade were able stifle them and book a final date with Newcastle West Town Reserves.

Weekly Observer Division Two
Feenagh 6-0 Shountrade
Feenagh picked up a welcomed three points against an out of sorts Shountrade side, who couldn’t build on the Cup semi-final win to claim some needed league points. Daire Hannigan, Cain O’Connor and Cillian Quinn made with 4-0 by the midway point. There was a double from Dylan Murray O’Connor in the second half.

Mountcollins 1-1 Knockaderry
It ended in deadlock in Mountcollins, with a strike from Jamie Quirke accounting for the home side. It does little for either side, who remain adrift of Newcastle West and Ballingarry.

Abbeyfeale Utd B P-P Ballingarry B – Pitch unplayable.

Weekly Observer Division Three League Cup Final (extra time & penalties if required)
Dromore Utd B 3-2 Breska Rovers B (AET)
A neighbourly clash saw Dromore United B prevail, in what turned out to be a thrilling cup tie. Eventually it was JJ Mulcair who bundled home the winner, in the second period of extra-time. There was nothing to separate these sides at half-time, when it was 0-0. Indeed, it was 2-2 at the end of 90 minutes, with Dromore United down to ten men. The opening goal, which came from Barry O’Connor, was a cool, classy finish, allowing the striker take the ball over the keeper and finish nicely. Dromore replied, with Ethan O’Brien racing clear and showing great composure to tuck the ball home.

Mike Heavenor got United in front, when he was on the end of an inviting corner, which caused Rovers problems most of the evening. All three goals arriving in a 10-minute spell of madness. There was a turning point, with 15 minutes remaining, when Michael Cuddihy was shown a straight red card after an off the ball incident. Breska seized upon this, and got the leveller when a good run from Rob Kearney saw him centre to O’Connor who netted his second.

After a goalless first 10 minutes, Ethan O’Brien delivered an inviting cross which was finished by Mulcair for a sweet success for Dromore United, who add to the trio of success’ secured by their A team last season.

Weekly Observer Division Three
Glantine B 0-4 Carrig Celtic
A brace from veteran Stephen Kelly, as well as strikes from Brian Foley and Kieran O’Connor saw Carrig Celtic ease to an away victory and keep themselves top of the pile approaching midway.

Askeaton-Kilcornan B 1-3 Glantine
Glantine kept themselves in contention at the right part of the table, with a good away win in Kilcornan. Evan Costello was on target for the home side.

Social Sharing

Posted in ,

HIGHLIGHTS | Treaty United kick off First Division season with Cobh Ramblers victory

It was the perfect debut for Considine, who bagged a brace to claim three points for his side, ...
Read More

Feenagh claim only major upset in Desmond Cup opening round

The highly coveted Weekly Observer Desmond Cup took centre-stage this weekend. Last seasons competition had a plethora of ...
Read More
Tommy Barrett Treaty

Tommy Barrett hails “excellent” Thomas Considine after dream debut against Cobh

Tommy Barrett on Thomas Considine's two goal display. Treaty United manager Tommy Barrett has hailed new signing Thomas ...
Read More
Considine Treaty

Two goal Considine an instant hit as Treaty beat Cobh

Treaty United open season with a win. The League of Ireland is a more popular product these days. ...
Read More
Treaty United

Know your team: Guide to the Treaty United squad of 2024

Treaty United open their season against Cobh Ramblers. Treaty United will line out for the opening game of ...
Read More

Treaty United confirm Senior Men’s squad as season opener approaches

Mark Walsh has been named as club captain for the upcoming season, the Nenagh man played in the ...
Read More

Treaty United urging supporters to ‘Fill The Field’

Most notably, Luton Town and Ireland international Chiedozie Ogbene has called on supporters to come out for Tommy ...
Read More

Treaty United confirm change to blue home strip for 2024 season

"The home strip being blue was a loud message we heard and with this in mind we are ...
Read More